Lay Your Burden Down
![]() |
| (c) Google images, 2012. |
I hope today's blogpost doesn't seem to churchy or Pollyanna. (If so, head over to The Onion and read some great satire.)
I just feel really strongly about saying this:
If you're carrying a burden, and it's just too heavy, lay it down for a bit.
--Set it on the side of the "metaphorical road."
--Give it to a friend to carry for a while.
--Have someone HELP you carry it for a bit.
--Or get rid of it all together.
Because if there's one thing that my experience on Survivor taught me, it's that 99.9% of the world is filled with people willing, longing, and hoping to share life with other people.
So, even if your spouse, mother, sister, brother, coworker or doctor don't seem to be able to ease your burden ...
somewhere in your universe, there's a person who can.
Now, I realize I speak in metaphors WAY too often, but for me, they are the best teaching tools.
When I picture my burdens as bundles of WOOD (like in the photo above), I realize how important it is to take a break from them for a while.
Even if only for an hour.
Laying your burden down doesn't make it go away, necessarily, but it does help you regain your strength and composure--which will make the burden much easier to carry.
And while I know some of our burdens aren't temporary (illness, divorce, wayward kiddos, wars, poverty, global climate change, death), I believe it's ultimately possible for us to retrain our minds (and friends/family--ha ha) to redefine these "burdens" in our lives.
In a sense, we have the ability to strip the burden of its power.
Rather than letting it wear us down, our burden can actually help strengthen our spirit, mind, and body.
I believe that with all of my heart because I've seen it happen in my own life.
Much like this quote, I used to feel like life's burdens were taking me to "The Edge":
![]() |
We/you/I get to decide what a burden does to us.
We get to choose.
Try to remember that as you inventory your burdens.
And when/if you lose perspective--or when it's just too much to carry--take a break (aka "pit stop"). Set down the burden. Regroup.
PS: I usually include red velvet cake at my "pit-stops," But do what works best for you. LOL.
| Red Velvet Cake, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. |
****
PPS:
Are you ready for Valentine's Day?
(Me? Not at all.)
| I guess we are kind of prepared for Valentine's Day: we learned to make heart-shaped cinnamon rolls from Pinterest. |
| And our kids did wash my car this weekend as a surprise ... which I loved! (PS: Yes, now you know, I drive a Porsche. LOL.) |
| And we got to go swimming ... which we LOVE. With friends that we love--double love. |
| And I made chicken enchiladas (Recipe of the Week)--which I LOVE! |

