On Being Grateful
This morning I'm thinking about how important it is to be grateful.
And I'm wondering just how grateful my heart is--how much I show my appreciation in life, for life.
Why the deep thoughts today? (It's always something . . . LOL!)
Well, because yesterday I administered a final at the university where I teach. And it began at 7am--an ungodly hour (which is funny because it's a religious institution).
I didn't choose the time, and either did my students; the university creates the finals matrix for all courses in order to make the best use of buildings and avoid scheduling conflicts, etc.
But my point!
Because the final was so early, I was thinking my students might not have breakfast before class. So, I stopped and bought Krispie Kreme Donuts for them.
Once I arrived at the final, my thoughts were confirmed: most students had not had breakfast and the donuts were quickly devoured.
And here's were my deep thought for the day comes from.
NO ONE
and I mean NOT ONE PERSON
said thank you for the donuts.
Now, maybe this is no big deal.
Maybe a gifted-donut doesn't really merit a thank you.
Or maybe it does, but my students were focused on finals and too stressed to think about saying thank you for something as tiny as a donut.
Or maybe they were too tired to say thank you--7am IS pretty early for a final.
Or maybe the sugar blues had kicked in and they suddenly were anything BUT thankful for the extra carbs and sugar in the morning.
But whatever the reason, this tiny life experience really bothered me.
I mean, it bugged the C R A P out of me!
And immediately my brain started running a "script" about how ungrateful my students are/were. About how they expected so much from other people, but rarely gave of themselves. About how I hoped my own kids would thank their teacher for a donut. About how I know 99.9% of people on the planet would say thank you for a donut--I just happened to be teaching the .01% of people that wouldn't.
Now, I know this shows my pea-sized dinosaur brain--and my lack of evolution--but honestly, the more I thought about this donut experience, the more upset I became.
This sounds dramatic (which is so me), but I think I actually felt my heart close a little.
And in fact, by the time I got home from work yesterday, I'd resolved to "never take donuts to a class again. NEVER!"
"I'll show them--ya ungrateful donut-eating 19 year-olds."
"You just had your last kind deed from me!"
"Humph!"
(You can laugh. I'm ridiculous, I know.)
****************
But here's my big epiphany--after 24 hours of mulling over this anger/frustration/closed heart idea:
Just kidding.
1. Our expression of gratitude MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.
If I don't show other people gratitude, it may change the way they extend love, kindness, compassion, etc., to others in the future.
2. I need to make sure I have a grateful heart. (And our kiddos, too.)
3. I need to resist the urge to close my heart when people don't respond the way I expect them to.
I should do things because they are the right thing to do, not because I expect a "thank you."
4. I have definitely been ungrateful at times in my own life. I need to remember that we are all learning--and to let people off the hook when they seem to be "ungrateful." I really believe everyone on Planet E is doing the best they can, so I don't need to automatically take my brain to Crazy Town when I think things are going south.
5. I am going to try and be more thankful--in word/deed.
So, with that in mind, I'd like to apologize to everyone reading this who is thinking, "SHE HAS BEEN SO UNGRATEFUL TO ME!"
You're right. 8)
Forgive me.
From the bottom of my heart. I am grateful for all you have done for me.
I love you.
And, I promise to be generous no matter how people respond.
SO, that means I will bring donuts to my future students.
Because I am grateful for my students. (Even the ones that forgot to say thank you!)
