Making Tough Decisions
![]() |
| Sweet Harriet. |
So, I mentioned in my last post that we'd added a new puppy to our home.
What I failed to mention--in my effort to be the eternal optimist--is that Harriet, our family pet for the last 5 years, did not exactly LOVE our new puppy.
In fact, anytime they were in a room together, there was chaos, barking, growling ... and even biting.
We'd been managing the last few days by keeping the dogs entirely separate from one another.
And we'd hoped that over time their interactions would improve, and eventually the two dogs would become good friends.
Right?
Well, that's what we were hoping ...
until we took Jessie to the vet on Thursday and he told us, "It's unlikely for two female dogs to ever get along when one is a small alpha and the other is a large alpha. He added that it was more complicated because Harriet had occupied the home alone for several years. He said the fighting would continue until the bigger dog "couldn't take it anymore."
To which I asked, "Then what?"
And the vet replied, "Well, someone will get hurt. Most likely your small dog or one of your children, if they get involved. You will never be able to keep the dogs alone together. They will always need supervision because it will only take a minute for the bigger dog to kill Harriet."
He said, "To kill Harriet."
What in the crap?
How on earth can I be 43 and not know things about animal interactions like this?
I mean, it feels like this is Humane Society 101 here: don't have two female dogs together if they are not the same size.
I don't know. I don't want to blame anyone, but shouldn't the Humane Society mention this when we are considering adoption? We even brought Harriet down to meet the new dog--and there was immediate tension and fighting. But the worker seemed to believe that would change over time. Now, maybe in some scenarios, that does change over time. But according to our vet, it's just a fact. We should have never considered bringing another big female dog into our home.
Ugh. Really. Is it too much to ask for just a week of easy-peasy?
All I can say is we left the vet's office with a heavy-heart.
He told us, "You have some serious thinking to do. Can you keep Harriet separate and safe from Jessie--permanently? If so, then go for it. If not, do not put your family and family-dog through this."
And while I knew the answer immediately (No. We could not insure everyone's safety.), I knew it would take a family council/discussion to determine what we should do with our new puppy and our unhappy Harriet.
And after a lot of tears, a lot of discussion, and a lot of debate, we made the tough call: we called the adoption center, explained the situation, and sadly returned Jessie to them.
It was helen.
Ugh.
And yet, I know it was "the right" thing to do.
With 5 kids in the house, plus small upset Harriet, we were bound to have a blow-up at some point between the two dogs. And I
Man, life decisions aren't always easy.
And I know for some of you reading this, you're probably thinking we could have done 1 million things differently here.
I agree.
All I can say is we're doing our best.
I wish there was a way to go through life without some of these painful situations/decisions/challenges/mistakes.
But I know that's not what life's about: it's not about being perfect.
I know I'm imperfect. I know I will make many more mistakes before my days are over.
I just pray I can make tweaks and improve as I journey through life. And hopefully--hopefully--make decisions that don't harm others as I fumble my way through.
Man, easy days are a lot more fun. Can I get an Amen?
