And Just Like THAT: It's Fall!
Fall in Utah is incredible. It seriously makes me so happy.
The colors are changing on the mountains, leaves are falling, football is starting, Allred Orchards is selling my favorite apples and peaches, the mornings are crisp--but not cold, and the kids can still play outside without shoes.
I love it.
And to celebrate, I'm making a pumpkin wild rice soup today. (I know, CrazyTown over here. Can you tell I'm over 40? Making soup tops my list of exciting things. Ha! If it makes you feel any better, making soup topped my list of exciting things when I was 30 ... and 20, too. ABCs of me, baby.)
Happy Labor Day to you and your family. Safe travels if you are heading out to boat, camp, fish, etc.
(Our fam? We are staying here, boating--if the rain lets up, eating soup, and BBQ'ing. Period.)
*******
![]() |
| (c) MommyApolis.com, 2012. |
Pumpkin Wild Rice Soup
Ingredients:
3 carrot, sliced
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 (15-ounce) can solid packed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2/ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions:
* You can sub half-and-half for the heavy cream if you'd like.
1. Place carrots, potatoes, and wild rice in the bottom of a 4-5 quart slow-cooker. In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
2. Add pumpkin and beef broth to skillet. Cook and stir until mixture blends and comes to a simmer. Pour into crockpot, add water, curry powder, salt and pepper, and stir. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, until wild rice is tender. Stir in heavy cream and cook for 20 minutes longer. Serve.
