California Here We Come ...
We're on our way to sunny So Cal to speak at a youth conference.
I. Can't. Wait.
Heaven knows there's nothing quite like green grass in March! Woo hoo!
****
Now, about Survivor last night. Did you watch?
Oh, man. What the what?
What did you think?
What did you think?
Here's how I felt after watching last night:
And here are a few other thoughts:
1. The women ROCKED that reward challenge!
It's hard to launch coconuts using surgical tubing. The women were amazing!
2. The women did not ROCK the immunity challenge.
I'm thinking maybe the lack of food, water, and sleep may have contributed to that.
3. What's up with the rice and lawn chairs?
I've been able to confirm this w/ a cast member: both tribes have rice this season. Huh? (And a lawn chair?)
We didn't have rice, just coconuts/fish. (Granted, Savaii won taro in the first reward challenge, but Upolu never had a starch/carb.)
How are people supposed to starve out there if they aren't starving? 'Splain that to me, Lucy.
4. You never give up immunity in this game.
If I write more, I'm going to get cranky.
PS: I loved that Sabrina said, "We'd never do that to each other," or something to that effect. Believe me, the women of Salani are forming a tight alliance at this stage in the game. Sisters are doin' it for themselves. Can I get an amen. (Amen.)
5. Be careful what you think; be even more careful about what you say.
I don't know Colton's motivation for being so flip with his thoughts/words during the game, but I will say this, I don't love it. And I'm hoping it's just the stress of the game that's causing him to crack. (Which is entirely possible. Lack of food, water, sleep, sanitation, family ...)
6. This game brings out the worst in people, BUT it also brings out the best in people.
People like Bill are the reason I love this game/show: Bill knows who he is--and what he's willing to do/not do in order to win a million dollars.
I thought the most important "lesson" or take-away from last night's episode was Bill's reaction/response to Colton. To me, Bill showed viewers HOW gracefully respond to a ton of "isms" last night. (Watch Bill's exit comments. Thoughtful.)
PS: I've asked The Universe to book Bill 2.7 million comedy gigs as a result of last night's ep.
7. I was bummed the men went a long with Colton's plan.
I wanted someone on Manono to be the voice of reason last night. If only in WORD, I wanted someone to say, "THIS IS WRONG. Let's blindside Colton and flush the idol instead."
See, I am pretty sure the men would have LOVED to take out Colton, but they haven't built the trust it takes to execute such a plan. Unfortunately, they all went with the logic "as long as it's not ME ... I'm good with it."
It's so frustrating to watch. But as a former player, I kind of understand how they "let" one person hold so much power.
Survivor is a tough game. Mentally and physically it kicks your butt. And as a result, you do things you wouldn't do in normal life. For some players this is intentional--they play hard/mean because a million dollars is on the line. For other players, it's not intentional--they play hard/mean because they are starving and cold and desperate.
I can understand. But, I still can't stand it. (Note to self: look up "group-think" on Wikipedia.)
8. I (still) love Jeff Probst.
Jeff is just GREAT during Tribal Council! He's like a therapist of sorts. Did you see how he tried to give Colton a chance to RELATE to Bill (asking questions about tolerance)? I love that about him. Jeff gets really involved in the social dynamics of the game.
PS: There is a psychologist assigned to the cast pre-game and post-game, so production is very mindful about how this game impacts everyone. The psychologist is not at camp with us OR interacting with us during the game, but they do know what's happening at camp and they watch challenges/Tribal Council. IF there's ever a concern for players' safety/emotional stability, production will step in. At the very least, there's a trained professional to help the players work through "issues" after the game ends. It's pretty incredible. (One more reason to love Survivor.)

