My Favorite Quote

The Shoulder the Load Challenge, Survivor South Pacific.
(C) CBS, Monty Brinton, 2011.


I'm still working on my post-game post this weekend. (So much to cover!.). But, while I do that, I wanted to share a quote that means a lot to me.


It's a quote my husband gave me during a reward challenge in the game. I've since talked about this in interviews, so I think it's okay to share here: 


During the Sliding Rocks Reward, Savaii earned letters from home.


Is that incredible? (Heck yes.)


Those letters were like gold. I read them over and over, and they gave me strength to complete the game. Knowing everyone was safe, happy, and doing well gave me a great sense of peace. Ahhhh. I loved it!


Oh, but my point.


In his letter, my husband, Dave, shared this incredible quote.


As I read it, I had bloody knees from the first challenge, scrapes on my shoulders from the third challenge, and an upset stomach from too much coconut the day before. We weren't even at the half-way point of the game (it's 39 days).


The timing was perfect--and the quote transformed my thinking. 


Reading it gave me incredible determination and drive in the game. (I'm pretty sure I read it over 100 times. I probably shared it that often, too. Ha.)


So, I want to share it with you--in hopes that you will feel the determination and drive to face the daily challenges of your life.

“Most people never get there. They're afraid or unwilling to demand enough of themselves and take the easy road, the path of least resistance. But struggling and suffering, as I now saw it, were the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not constantly demanding more from yourself--expanding and learning as you go--you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:

Wow!! What a ride!”

(*Quote by Dean Karnazes, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner)




****

PS: 

This quote has given our whole family a new outlook on life. 

Since returning from the game, we are ALL doing our best to live life with more VaVOOM. 

I'm so thankful for the game and my family's support during it. 


(Pssst: I'm also thankful to Jeff Probst. But you probably already know that. Ha.)



Three weeks after I returned from Survivor--the family competed in a Mud Run. 

It's like an un-televised Survivor Challenge!

The DAY after the Sliding Rocks Reward 
aired on Survivor South Pacific, 
Jr started diving off the high-dive LIKE OZZY.



Popular posts from this blog

I Heart Summertime!

Survivor 24, A Guinea Pig, And Valentine's '12

Waiting for the Haunted Train . . .